Thursday, June 17, 2010

Holiday update

On June 6th my wife Kaori went to Japan for 10 days, so I had some leave from work to look after the kids...and work on the boat.  Didn't get as much done as I'd hoped due to being pretty sick for the first couple of days, and the weather being very bleak, but as of yesterday I had bolted/riveted in the new aft floors, repaired all the existing ones, sanded and primed the forward sections of the interior, made three new floors out of mahogany and sealed all these plus the remaining ribs and other odds and ends.
Three new floors, looking glorious in sealed mahogany, just
 resting in place for the photo opportunity.

   One more major cross-floor to do, although I won't pull that one until the others are all fastened in, then the three laminated ones will come out for good and Jado will be structurally and cosmetically much closer to her 1958 spec. There's also a little floor all the way forward which Peter Murton replaced, it looks like he put it adjacent to the original one and then removed that, I'll redo this one, too, as the keel bolt should pass through it and not beside it.

Under the junk...two new kauri floors.

  Having riveted in the outer ends of some of the floors I fancied that I could do the same feat with the rib patches.  Not really, I spent an hour doing one yesterday, it was no fun at all.  The main difference is that the patches need to be held in place while holes are drilled and the initial nails are driven in, and this proved very frustrating.  Will have to get some help as I keep finding more cracked ribs as I clean them up.  There's at least seven more to make.  When these are finally done it's just the engine beds to design and fit, then she'll be ready to turn over and strip!

No comments:

Post a Comment