Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Engine Decisions

Before Jado had even arrived in Auckland I had already bought an engine and gearbox, for want of anything else to do whilst I waited for Peter to complete his work in Nelson. This was a Kubota D750 diesel, 3cyl 18hp, very common and well regarded. However, as the project veered from casual refurbishment to earnest restoration I decided that the original powerplant was what I needed. This had been a Ford Ten sidevalve with a Parsons forward/reverse gearbox. After doing some homework on these engines I opted for the 100E motor, identical in almost every way, but with a few significant upgrades over the older motors (a water pump, for one!). I bought one of these in early October, and am still on the lookout for a Parsons marine box. A 1:1 Paragon was purchased in February 2010, but mating this to the Ford would be a lot of work, so still keeping my eyes peeled.


Kubota D750 diesel with Droffin 2:1 gearbox
Paragon gearbox, ex Holden six.


Ford 100E sidevalve petrol motor.

No comments:

Post a Comment